Jaguar - Mk VII/VIII/IX
The Jaguar Mark VII was a large four door sports sedan launched at the 1950 London Motor Show. The chassis came from the Jaguar Mark V with which the Mark VII shared its 10 feet (3,048 mm) wheelbase. But for this latest offering Jaguar designed a modern and streamlined looking body, featuring fully integrated headlights and mudguards along with an increased rear overhang which gave the car enhanced presence. As on the Mark V, the upper part of the rear wheels was covered by the body work. In place of its predecessor's flat windscreen, the Mark VII design included a two piece front screen, adumbrating the gently curved one piece screen that would become available in successor models.
The Jaguar Mark VIII was introduced by Jaguar at the 1956 London Motor Show. The car shared its 10 feet (3,048 mm) wheelbase with its predecessor, the Jaguar Mark VII which outwardly it closely resembled. However, the interior fittings were more luxurious than those of the Mark VII. Distinguishing visually between the models is facilitated by changes to the front grill. In addition, whereas the Mark VII had incorporated a two piece front windscreen, the new car featured a one piece slightly curved screen. The Mark VIII inherited from its predecessor the 3,442 cc straight six engine which it shared with the Jaguar XK150 that appeared the same year. In the Mark VIII, supported by twin SU carburetors, and employing a manual four speed transmission, advertised engine output was now increased to 210 bhp (156.6 kW): the claimed top speed in excess of 106 mph (170 km/h) was considered impressive, given the car's bulk. Transmission options included overdrive or a Borg Warner three speed automatic box.
After a two year production run the Mark VIII was replaced by the Jaguar Mark IX: 6,227 Mark VIIIs had by then been produced. The Mark IX (pronounced mark nine) was produced between 1959 and 1961. It differed little in exterior appearance from the Mark VII except for the new model name. Internally, an enlarged-bore 3.8 Ltr (231 inÂ³) DOHC straight-6 replaced the previous 3.4 Ltr (210 inÂ³) unit. Four-wheel disc brakes and power steering were now standard equipment. The vehicle's power and good brakes for a vehicle of the era, together with its impressive appearance makes it quite a common choice for classic car circuit racing, such as at the Goodwood Circuit's 'Revival' meetings.
A green example was featured prominently in Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo (film).