The MG T series of cars (including the TA, TB, TC, TD, and TF) was a basic body-on-frame sports car produced from 1936 through to 1955. The MG TA replaced the MG PB in 1936. It was an evolution of the previous car and was 3 inches (76 mm) wider in its track at 45 inches and 7 inches (180 mm) longer in its wheelbase at 94 inches. The previous advanced overhead cam engine was now not in use by any other production car so it was replaced by a more typical MPJG OHV unit from the Wolseley 10 but with twin SU carburettors, modified camshaft and manifolding. The engine displaced just 1,292 cc, with a stroke of 102 mm and a bore of 63.5 mm and power output was 50 hp (40.3 kW) at 4,500 rpm. The four speed gearbox now had synchromesh on the two top ratios. Like the PB, most were two seat open cars with a steel body on an ash frame but it could also be had from 1938 as a Tickford drophead coupé with body by Salmsons of Newport Pagnell or closed "airline" coupé. It was capable of reaching nearly 80 mph (130 km/h) in standard tune with a 0-60 mph time of 23.1 seconds. Unlike the PB, hydraulic brakes were fitted. Just over 3000 were made and in 1936 it cost £222 on the home market.
The TC was the first postwar MG, launched in 1945. It was quite similar to the pre-war TB, sharing the same engine with a slightly higher compression ratio of 7.4:1 giving 54.5 bhp (40.6 kW) at 5,200 rpm but using more modern interior elements allowing a wider cockpit. It was exported to the United States, even though only ever built in right hand drive. The export version had slightly smaller US specification sealed beam head lights and larger twin rear lights, as well as turn signals and chrome-plated front and rear bumpers. Over 10,000 were produced, a large number by MG standards. It cost £527 on the home market in 1947.
The 1950 TD combined the TC's drivetrain but with modified hypoid geared rear axle with the MG Y-type chassis and a familiar T-type style body. An independent suspension using coil springs in front was new, based on that fitted to the MG Y-type saloons, as were rack and pinion steering, smaller 15-inch (380 mm) disc type road wheels and a left-hand drive option. Bumpers and over-riders became standard for the first time. The car was also 5 inches (130 mm) wider with a track of 50 inches (1,300 mm). In 1950 the TD MkII was introduced, produced alongside the standard car, with a more highly tuned engine with 8.0:1 compression ratio giving 57 bhp (43 kW) at 5500 rpm. It also featured twin fuel pumps, revised dampers and a higher rear axle ratio. Nearly 30,000 TDs had been produced, including about 1700 Mk II models , when the series ended in 1953 with all but 1656 exported. 23,488 were exported to the United States. In 1998, the rights, intellectual properties and trade marks associated with the production of MG TD is acquired by TD Cars Sdn Bhd in Malaysia to reproduce the TD series as TD2000.
Essentially a stop gap car until the new range starting with the MGA could be produced, the TF was launched in 1953 was a facelifted TD with a sloping grille and the headlights in the wings. The external radiator cap was now a dummy as a pressurised system was fitted to better cope with hot climates. In 1954 the engine was re-designated XPEG and enlarged to 1,466 cc by increasing the bore to 72 mm giving 63 bhp (47 kW) at 5,500 rpm and the car designated the TF 1500. The last cars were made in 1955 when it was replaced by the MGA after approximately 9,600 were made including 3,400 of the TF 1500.Source: Wikipedia.